Osaka Marathon 2017
- 26 Nov 2017(Sun)
- Application period:
- 7 Apr 2017(Fri) - 12 May 2017(Fri)
- start:Osaka Castle Park
- Very well organized and as well the city is filled with excitement to celebrate the sport of long distance running.
- Enjoy the race and have fun in the days before.
The Osaka Marathon is a growing annual running event usually held in November in the big and welcoming city of Osaka. The event is on the same scale as other big major marathons in terms of participants (30,000+). As most running events in Japan, the Osaka marathon is very well organized and as well the city is filled with excitement to celebrate the sport of long distance running.
I personally enjoyed the ambiance a lot and had much fun in the days before, hanging out with locals and indulging in tasty takoyaki (octopus dumplings).
Course-wise, it's mostly flat with some narrow passages, many bridges and lots of containers as you get closer to the finish line near Intex Osaka port. The most tricky part however is the "heart or leg breaking" Nanko bridge at 37km which has aptly been called "The Bridge of Doom".
All in all, a great marathon that I highly recommend!
Written by Nizar Grira of Namban Rengo
COURSE MAP(start venue)
|Category||Start time||Registration Fee||Status|
|Marathon(JAAF/Non-JAAF): Individual / Overseas||9:00||13,000JPY||-|
|Challenge Run: Individual / Overseas||9:00||6,500JPY||-|
|Start point||Osaka Castle Park|
|Finish point||Marathon: INTEX Osaka / Challenge run: Osaka City Hall|
|Application Period||From 10:00 a.m., Fri., April 7 through to 5:00 p.m., Fri., May 12, 2017|
① Individual, ② Pair (2 persons), ③ Group (3-7 people)
(Runners other than civic athletes or charity runners)
<2> Challenge Run
|Entry from overseas||For those living overseas, please apply via an overseas application site.|
※ If applicants living in Japan cannot read Japanese, they can apply via an overseas application site (English or Traditional Chinese). However, in that case, the overseas entry fee will be charged.
|Special priority quota for consecutively unsuccessful applicants||Eligible applicants will include those who individually applied for the Osaka Marathon 2017 via the Internet and who also applied for the Osaka Marathon 2014, 2015 and 2016 but were not selected for all three years consecutively. (3,000 people)|
※ Only for those who applied for the Osaka Marathon 2014, 2015 and 2016 via the website and obtain MyPage
※ The quota of persons concerned need not undergo any special application procedure.
※ The above privileges will not apply for those participants in the challenge run and charity runner categories.
|Entrants’ runner registration||Osaka Marathon EXPO2017|
|Registration Date&time||24th Nov (Fri) , 25th Nov 2017|
11:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. （last admission）
※Registration on race day （Sun., Nov. 26, 2017） is not acceptable.
※Registration by proxy is not acceptable. Please ensure that a runner him/herself comes to the registration.
|Line-up at the start||To ensure a safe and smooth starting operation, waiting blocks will be set up at the start time, regardless of whether you are a JAAF member or not, according to the certified time on the record certificate (personal best time) submitted when applying for entry. Those who specified neither certified time on the record (personal best time) nor predicted time will start from the rearmost block.|
① Invited and guest runners
② Those who has personal best time (The time must be recorded at a confirmable race held within the past two years. If it was found to be false report, the entry would be canceled.)
③ Those who reported the estimated finish time
④ Those who reported neither personal best time nor estimated finish time
|Competition Rules||The race are conducted in accordance with FY2017 rules and regulations set forth by the Japan Association of Athletics Federations (JAAF), Japan Para Athletics (JPA), and the Osaka Marathon.|
◎The top eight male and female finishers overall will receive commendations respectively.
◎Civic Runner Award: Male and female who are JAAF members and general participants finished in first place will be respectively commended.（excluding invited and guest runners）
◎The Chicago Marathon Award: Male and female runners living in Osaka and who are JAAF members and general participants finished in first place will be respectively commended.（excluding invited and guest runners, representative runners for affiliate marathons, runners who were sent to the last two Osaka Marathon races）
◎The top eight male and female wheelchair athletes will be respectively commended.
◎The top three male and female runners per five-year age bracket will be respectively commended.
※Award certificates will be sent at a later date.
There will be no commendation..
〈3〉Best Charity Runner Award
The charity runner having raised the most donations will be commended.
|Costume-clad participation||JAAF members are prohibited from participating in the race dressed in costume.|
|Time Limits||(1) Marathon: 7 hours, Wheelchair race: 2 hours and 20 minutes|
(2) Challenge Run: 1 hour and 50 minutes
※Time limits are based on gun time.
※A vehicle to notify runners of disqualification due to lagging behind will be introduced to patrol during the race. Those who are overtaken by this vehicle, which is driving at a pace set based on the cut-off time to close each checkpoint, will be asked to end the race at any point on the course other than the checkpoint.
|Charity||The Osaka Marathon aims to help people develop a deeper understanding of charitable activities and encourage many of those participating in the race, including runners, supporters on the sidelines and volunteers to participate in such charity programs.|
Regarding charity donations
In addition to the entry fee, participants must donate at least two units (one unit: JPY 500) or more as charity donation.
① ：Please select charity color after verifying the charity theme and activities of the charitable organization you wish to support.
② : For those of you wishing to raise additional donations along with the charity donation ①, please select the charity color and number of units for donations.
※ You can select multiple colors and units as well as the same color you selected in the charity donation ①.
|Nanairo (Rainbow Color)Team Competition||All marathon runners participate in this competition, divided into seven teams and compete as a team. The winner will be the team with the best average time among all finishers.|
●100 runners selected in a drawing among the finishers of the winning team will be given berth placed for the Osaka Marathon 2018!
※ The above privileges will not apply for those participants in the wheelchair race and challenge run.
※ The entry fee for the Osaka Marathon 2018 must be paid by each participant.
|Charity goods||Limited sales available at the time of entry (for successful entrants only)|
(1) Nanairo (Rainbow Color) Charity T-shirt
Price: JPY 4,000
※ JPY 2,000, excluding production costs will be donated to the charitable organizations associated with the color of the goods you purchased.
※ There are seven different designs.
※ The designs are subject to change.
(2) Nanairo (Rainbow Color) Charity Cap
Price: JPY 2,000
※ A portion of sales, excluding production costs will be donated to the charitable organizations associated with the color of the goods you purchased.
※ Adjustable size (Around 58 cm - 60 cm)
(3) Charity Windbreaker
Price: JPY 7,500
※ The funds raised will be donated evenly to each of the charitable color organizations.
(4) Number Card with a Nickname
You can purchase a “Number Card with a Nickname”, including the name or thoughts you wish to use within five characters on the number card. Please apply for it together at the time of entry.
Price: JPY 500
※ Printable letters are Chinese characters, hiragana, katakana, alphabets and Arabic numbers, within 5 characters in double-byte characters or ten characters in single-byte printable characters.
※ Please note that symbols such as ☆ and ♪ are unavailable and even if you add such symbols, they will be deleted.
※ Some names such as commercial names, trade names and others that the event organizer considers inappropriate may be rejected.
1. Marathon civic athletes (general), individual (general, wheelchair), pair or group participants, charity runners (general)
2. Participants in Challenge Run
※ Non-member of JAAF
※ The application will be accepted only via domestic application site.
※ A portion of sales, excluding production costs will be donated to the charitable organizations associated with your team color of the Nanairo (Rainbow Color) Team Competition.
|Doping control||Doping control tests will be carried out in accordance with the IAAF Rules and/or Japan Anti-Doping Code. For doping control tests carried out before or after the Osaka Marathon 2017, a sample of urine or blood or both will be collected. People nominated should take the test as instructed.|
|TUE application||Those athletes who have to use prohibited substances / methods covered under the Prohibited List International Standard for the purpose of treating disease must file an application for TUE (therapeutic use exemption). Please visit the following website for further details.|
▼JAAF Medical Committee
▼Japan Anti-Doping Agency (JADA)
|Terms and Conditions||1. The event organizer cannot accept applications by applicants who disagree with the concept of charity programs.|
2. Please note that each individual applicant can only apply for one race. Duplicate race entry applications / participations for Osaka Sports Supporting Runners, Civic Athletes, individual runners, pair / group runners, Charity Runners or Challenge Run by the same applicant are prohibited. If duplicate applications by the same applicant are discovered, the entries will all be rejected and any entry fee and relevant charges paid will not be refunded.
3. Falsifying name, age, gender, record or race participation by someone other than the applicant him/herself (dishonest entry) and transfer of berths are prohibited. If the event organizer identifies such dishonest acts by an individual or group entry, your entry will be canceled and your application for future races rejected. The event organizer will not make any compensation or refund for the entry fee and relevant charges.
4. After the application procedure, canceling or switching the event category for personal reasons is prohibited. Entrants will only be contacted by e-mail or phone if the event organizer deems it necessary to confirm registered information.
5. The event organizer will not be responsible for delay in the application procedure due to any problems with PCs, smartphones, Internet browsers and network connections during such activity.
6. Please note that the Call Center or event organizer will be unable to respond to any inquiries concerning entry status or the result of the drawing.
7. In case of overpayment or double payment, any excess amount paid will not be refunded.
8. Entry fees will not be refunded if the race is canceled for any reasons beyond the control of the event organizer i.e. earthquake, storm, flood disaster, snow, accidents and infectious diseases.
9. The event organizer will not be responsible for delayed arrival of entrants on the race day due to public transportation and road conditions.
10. The event organizer will not be responsible for illness, loss or any other kinds of accidents. The event organizer will conduct first-aid treatment in the event of an accident during the race; however, it will not take any further responsibilities.
11. Carrying any unrelated equipment to the race is prohibited.
12. Wearing or displaying any designs or brand names representing commercial names or trade names, etc. used for advertising purposes within the event site (including the race course) is prohibited.
13. Usage and portrait rights of images, photographs and articles covering the event, entrants’ names, ages, addresses (country, prefecture or city) and their records used for TV broadcasting, newspapers, magazines and Internet, belong to the event organizer.
14. If approved by the event organizer, photos and things like that may be sold on a commitment basis.
15. Regarding any matters other than the aforementioned terms and conditions, please comply with instructions given by the event organizer.
16. The race will be implemented in accordance with all relevant national laws and ordinances.
17. These application guidelines are for the Osaka Marathon 2017.
|Participant race goods||T-shirt|
|Precautions||1. Some PCs, smartphones, operating systems and browsers may cause errors and you may be unable to complete your online application procedure.|
2. Regarding receipt for the entry fee and other charges
◎ If you pay via credit card:
No receipt will be issued. Please use your credit card statement or bill issued by a credit card company as your receipt.
◎ If you pay at a convenience store:
No receipt will be issued. Please use your copy of payment made as your receipt.
3. Please train sufficiently and prepare properly, as well as considering your physical condition via a checkup, etc. before participating in the race.
4. The event organizer will deliver runners’ baggage from the start point to the goal. The arrival of baggage may be delayed due to traffic conditions.
5. Costume-clad runners are not allowed to participate from Block A.
|Policies on handling of personal information||The event organizer abides by the personal information protection law when handling participants' personal information.|
The event organizer, acknowledging the importance of protecting personal information, abides by all laws and ordinances concerning the protection of personal information when handling the same.
The event organizer will use personal information for the purpose of enhancing services to participants, including race details, results notifications, notifications of relevant information, and providing services by event sponsors, support organizations and their affiliates, as well as results (rankings) announcements.
※ The event organizer or Osaka Marathon Call Center may contact participants to confirm the information stated in their application forms.
※※ The event organizer (Osaka Prefectural Government, City of Osaka, and Osaka Association of All Athletics (OAAA)) will not provide any personal information on participants to the co-organizer (The Yomiuri Shimbun) and related mass media unless we obtain their approval for coverage.
|Inquiries for application and request for the brochure of the race||Osaka Marathon Call Center|
Osaka Nishi PO Box 181 “Osaka Marathon Call Center”, Japan Post 550-8691
Business hours: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (excluding Sat., Sun., and holidays)
※ Due to the large number of inquiries, it may take us some time to respond.
We appreciate your understanding in advance
|Inquiries regarding accommodations||Osaka Marathon Hotel Reservation Center|
7F., Taiyo Nissan Shinmachi Bldg. 1-16-1 Shinmachi, Nishi-ku, Osaka 550-0013
Business hours: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (excluding Sat., Sun., and holidays)
* Reservations will be accepted after drawing results are notified.
|Organizers||Osaka Prefectural Government, City of Osaka|
Osaka Association of All Athletics （OAAA）
|Co-organizer||The Yomiuri Shimbun|
|Managing Organization||Osaka Association of All Athletics（OAAA）|
Sports Entry Reccomend
This page is a selection of sports events in Japan recommended for the international community. This feature event is Osaka Marathon 2017. The information on this page independently collected and created by SportsEntry
Please check the page who we are for more details.
About Namban Rengo
Namban Rengo is an informal club for runners of all abilities. Most of us train to run in road races, trail races, ekidens and even triathlons. We are a social club with numerous informal events, training sessions and social gatherings. There is no fee to run or race with us.
Check more details at http://www.namban.org/