||Mar 28, 2020
＊Rain-or-shine event. If the weather is difficult for walking, only a meals will be served.
Hatenashi Shuraku Hamlet and others, Totsukawa-mura, Yoshino-gun
||Jan 8, 2020 - Mar 14, 2020
|Zip / Postalcode
||3 Ikeno-cho, Nara-shi, Nara-ken Sarusawa Inn 3F
ONSEN・Gastronomy Walking in Totsukawa-mura Executive Committee
|What is ONSEN Gastronomy Walking？
||ONSEN・Gastronomy Tourism is a new tourism that introduces the charm of hot spring resorts in Japan by walking and experiencing the food, nature, culture and history of local areas.
We open this event, ONSEN Gastronomy Walking, to enjoy a stroll through the beauty of hot spring areas, to experience our history and nature, to taste local foods and beverages, and finally to soak in a soothing hot spring at the end of the tour.
|The number of paticipants
* Registration will close as soon as capacity is reached.
|Registration place on the day of event
||Hotel Subaru (909-4 Hiradani, Totsukawa-mura, Yoshino-gun, Nara-ken) Grass Field
|Clothes and items to bring
||Please participate in comfortable clothes and walking shoes, and bring your own headwear, rain gear, beverages, and towels for bathing.
* We will provide beverages at some of the gastronomy points.
There are steep slopes in the event course. If you have stik or climbing pole, We recommend for bring.
||About 180 parking spaces (free)
|Direction to the venue
4 hours by Nara-kotsu bus from Yamatoyagi Station on the Kintetsu Osaka Line
4 hours by Nara-kotsu bus from Yamatoyagi Station on the Kintetsu Osaka Line
From Nagoya direction, proceed from Kameyama IC on the Higashi-Meihan Expressway to Koriyama IC on the Meihan Kokudo. 2 hours from Gojo IC on the Keinawa Expressway.
From Osaka direction via the Minami-Hanna Road, 2 hours from Gojo IC on the Keinawa Expressway
From Kansai International Airport, Kansai Airport Expressway to Kansai Airport Road to Hanwa Expressway. 2 hours from Gojo IC on Keinawa Expressway
2 hours from Nanki Shirahama Airport via national highways 42, 311, and 168
||Totsukawa-mura Tourism Association
Closed on Thursdays (If it is a holiday, it will be closed the following day)
|Registration place on the day of event and schedule
||[Reception venues on the day of event]Hotel Subaru (909-4 Hiradani, Totsukawa-mura, Yoshino-gun, Nara-ken)
[Starting point]Hotel Subaru (909-4 Hiradani, Totsukawa-mura, Yoshino-gun, Nara-ken)
[Finish line]Ikora (428-1 Hiradani, Totsukawa-mura, Yoshino-gun, Nara-ken)
* After finishing your meal at the starting point, you may start walking.
* Only 5 walkers at a time can cross the first small suspension bridge, Yanagi Motobashi.
* As the Kumano Kodo Kohechi is very narrow, everyone must walk single file.
* After reaching the finishing point, you can take a shuttle bus operating from Totsukawa Onsen Bus Terminal to Hotel Subaru.
* Shuttle bus runs every 20-30 minutes from about 13:00.
* Approx. 3-minute-walk from the finishing point "Ikora" to Totsukawa Onsen Bus Terminal.
*Destination cut-off: 16:00
||Served menu (planned)
*Special Secret Menu by the chef from Yoshoku Katui Restaurant
*Mushroom Soup with large mushrooms of Totsukawa Village and locally-made Tofu
*Wild Game Shish Kebab
*Croquettes made from the mystery grain "Mukodamashi" from Totsukawa village
*Mehari Sushi (Rice ball wrapped with Takana leaves)
*Yuubeshi (Yuzu citrus stuffed with miso, soba flour, rice flour, sesame, peanut, etc. and dried)
*Amago Fish Bone Sake
*Santo Meguri (Manju) (Steamed bun stuffed with sweet red beans)
*Shochu Imo-no-kabu (sweet potato shochu)
*Sashimi Konnyaku (gelatin made from konnyaku yam)
*Tanise (Japanese Sake)
*Japanese Sake from Shintotsukawa-cho, Hokkaido - the land of abundant nature
||Totsukawa village is located in the southernmost part of Nara prefecture and is a world heritage site and a national park. You can experience the rich history and nature of the village. "Totsukawa Hot Spring Village" consists of 3 different sources of spring water: "Totsukawa Onsen", "Kamiyu Onsen" and "Tosenji Onsen." You can enjoy not only bathing in different hot springs but also the magnificent view overlooking the clear waters of the quietly flowing Kumano river.
You will be amazed by the vast landscape of mountains and the life of people in the village. The "prayer road" and the life of the villagers harmoniously coexist in a manner unique to Totsukawa.
(Kumano Kodo Kohechi Pilgrimage Route)
This ancient path is a part of the world heritage site "Kii Sanchi no Reijo and Sankeimichi." Since the Heian Period (794-1185), this path has been a route for pilgrims that connects the sacred sites of Mt. Koya and Kumano. Running through rugged mountains, the cobblestone path and stone buddhas still remain.
(Yanagi Motobashi Bridge)
The Word Heritage Kumano Kodo Kohechi Pilgrimage Route goes over this suspension bridge. One of the most thrilling spots on the course, only 5 people or less can cross at a time due to its small size and considerable swaying motion.
As there are similar suspension bridges in Totsukawa Village, visiting each of them may be a fun option.
(Kumanogawa River - Totsukawa)
Designated as a first-class river, the Kumanogawa River flows through the village and changes its color from clear to emerald green depending on the day. As a quarter of the houses in Totsukawa Village were heavily damaged and local infrastructure was lost by the flood of Meiji 22 (1889), the afflicted villagers moved to Shin (New) -Totsukawa Town in Hokkaido. The two villages maintain a close relationship calling each, "mother village" and "child village." You can experience Japanese sake from Shin-Totsukawa town during the event.
(Kannon Sekibutsu Stone Buddha)
Along the course, you can discover the stone buddhas No. 29 and No. 30 which were enshrined by local believers in the Taisho period (1912-1926). They are enshrined with prayers to protect the Kumano Kodo Kohechi Pilgrimage Route. Each stone buddha is carved with the name of the donor and a statue that corresponds to similar statues in one of 33 sacred sites. They may be faded and difficult to read but they definitely deserve a closer look.
* The course may change without notice depending on the weather.
|Locations of toilets along the course (except starting and finishing points)
|Information on hot springs
||Totsukawa Village was the first to be officially-designated as a village with "Gensen Kake-nagashi Onsen" which are hot springs flowing naturally from their source. Diluting, recirculating, reusing, or re-heating the water, or using chlorine disinfectants is strictly prohibited at all hot spring facilities in the village. All hot springs are "honmamon (genuine) onsen" and are constantly filled with luxurious spring water due the bountiful number of hot springs in Totsukawa Village. Free bathing tickets will be provided to all participants. Please choose your three most favorite hot springs from the four public facilities in the village. (valid for 6 months)
||1. In order to hold the event smoothly and safely, participants shall comply with the regulations specified by the organizer and the traffic regulations.
2. The organizer shall not take any responsibility except for emergency measures in case of injury, loss or other accident.
3. The change of time or cancellation by personal reason is not accepted after registration.
4. The event may be canceled in case of an unexpected accident such as natural disaster, stormy weather, or new strain of influenza epidemic, etc. In that case, we can not compensate for the individual expenses such as participation fee, transportation or accommodation expenses.
5. Please check the event homepage for a cancellation notice.
6. It will be an event involving alcoholic beverages. Please enjoy the appropriate amount and please refrain from acting to disturb other participants. (loud voice, excessive drinking, etc.)
7. We may ask for an identification card for age verification. Driving cars, bicycles, etc. with drinking is prohibited by law. Please use public transportation.
8. The publication rights for any video, photographs, articles, records, the names/ages/addresses of participants (country, prefecture) that might be released to magazines, internet and others belong to the event organizer, the General Incorporated Association, and the ONSEN Gastronomy Tourism Promotion Organization.
|About the Certification of ONSEN Kishidan (Order)
||You can be certified as a member of ”ONSEN Kishidan (Chivalric order of hot springs)” when you register for the walking event. (*No fee to be certified)
”ONSEN Kishidan (Chivalric order of hot springs) is a group of members supporting ONSEN・Gastronomy Tourism and consists mainly of people who have a passions for hot springs.
”ONSEN Kishidan (Chivalric order of hot springs)” members will receive ONSEN・Gastronomy Walking and other up-to-date information.
Official website for members of ONSEN Kishidan (Order)”
”ONSEN＋” option is available for members.
For ONSEN＋ information: https://onsen-gastronomy.com/lp/onsenplus/
A ONSEN Kishidan (Chivalric order of hot springs) badge will be sent to your address. Please make sure to write your mailing address correctly and clearly.
* Personal information such as name, address, mail address, etc. received at the time of registration may be shared within the operating company, ONSEN & Gastronomy Tourism Association.
Information about ONSEN & Gastronomy Tourism Association:
- Reception site on the day of event
- Show All Places