||Sep 22, 2019
＊Rain-or-shine event. If the weather is difficult for walking, only a meals will be served.
In the vicinity of Wakkanai-shi, Hokkaido (center of Chuo District)
||Jul 10, 2019 - Sep 18, 2019
||3-6-1 Chuo Wakkanai-shi, Hokkaido Kitakara 1F ( ) Wakkanai Tourist Association
|What is ONSEN Gastronomy Walking？
||ONSEN・Gastronomy Tourism is a new tourism that introduces the charm of hot spring resorts in Japan by walking and experiencing the food, nature, culture and history of local areas.
We open this event, ONSEN Gastronomy Walking, to enjoy a stroll through the beauty of hot spring areas, to experience our history and nature, to taste local foods and beverages, and finally to soak in a soothing hot spring at the end of the tour.
|The number of paticipants
* Registration will close as soon as capacity is reached.
|Reception place on the day of event
||1-6-28 Minato, Wakkanai-shi 097-0021
Ocean side of Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba
||Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba
Parking #1 • Parking #2 Total of 248 parking spaces (Free)
|Direction to the venue
Departs Sapporo 07:40 - Arrives Wakkanai 13:30
[Airport Limousine Bus]
Airport Terminal 11:20 - Station Terminal 11:55
Approx. 30 minutes from Wakkanai Airport
Departs Sapporo (Chitose) at 10:20 - Arrives Wakkanai at 11:15
Departs Tokyo (Haneda) at 10:30 - Arrives Wakkanai at 12:20
||General Incorporated Association, Wakkanai Tourist Association
|Reception venue on the day of event and schedule
||[Reception venues on the day of event]Ocean side of Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba Tourist Information Center in Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba
[Starting point]Ocean side of Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba Tourist Information Center in Wakkanai Fukuko Ichibay
[Finishing point]Ocean side of Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba Tourist Information Center in Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba
1）Departure time 10:00～
2）Departure time 10:15～
3）Departure time 10:30～
4）Departure time 10:45～
＊Registration opens 30 minutes before the starting time of your entry.
||（1） [Seiko Mart: Kyogoku Water (500ml plastic bottle)]
* Natural spring water from Yotei Mountain in Hokkaido selected as one of the 100 best Japanese waters with smooth taste.
（2） [Fried Fish Cakes (with octopus) & Wakkanai Kelp and Fish Soup Stock & Soft Drink]
* Freshly fried fish cake with octopus.
* A mild, clear soup stock with plenty of glutamine made from the "best quality, Rishiri kelp" and the "best quality dried fish flakes" from the sister city of Wakkanai-shi, Makurazaki-shi of Kagoshima-ken. Enjoy a delicious soup stock of the highest-quality that is good for your skin, health, and as cure for hang-over.
（3） [Simmered Boutara (dried cod) & Takasago Brewery's Kokushimuso & Soft Drink]
* Sun-dried cod freshly caught in the sea near Hokkaido. All Boutara cod sold in the Japan are produced in Wakkanai. Enjoy the taste of "Simmered Dried Cod" which has been popular in the Kansai area for many years and is a traditional New Year dish.
* Established in 1899 (Meiji 32). Takasago Brewery has been committed to the production of sake using the natural resources of Asahikawa. Kokushimuso is a Japanese sake with clear acidity and a light flavor.
[At Wakkanai Park: Taro Jiro's Shop (Ozawa Chamber of Commerce)
Tickets for ice cream can be used at:
*"Wakkanai Ice Cream" made from Wakkanai milk. Soft ice cream made with pasteurized raw milk from Wakkanai.
（4） Buttered Potatoes (with salted squid) & Wakkanai Milk
*Yuchi potatoes registered with "YES! Clean" and grown using safe and secure clean cultivation. The potatoes are kept frozen during the winter to nurture a fruit-like sweetness in the spring. Enjoy a superior taste of potato in the Buttered Potatoes with Salted Squid.
* Wakkanai Brand "Wakkanai Milk" is non-homogenized milk made only with raw milk from cows fed high-quality grass. Pasteurization brings the taste closer to natural milk and shortens shelf life. Therefore, it is only available in Wakkanai.
（5） [Octopus Shabu Shabu & Mini Onigiri & Kelp Cooked in Soy Sauce & Mozuku Seaweed & Miso Soup with Baby Scallops & Godo Shusei Co. (Oenon Group) Kelp Shochu of Rebun Island & Soft drink]
* Wakkanai has the highest catch of Giant Pacific Octopus in Japan."Shoya Octopus" is certified as a Wakkanai Brand and one of the local dishes is Tako Shabu. Freshly caught octopus legs are rapidly frozen and then sliced and cooked in Rishiri kelp broth. The octopus is wonderfully fresh to eat as sashimi and has a healthy zero calories! You won't gain weight no matter how much you eat, so enjoy this dish at its birthplace, "Kurumaya/Genji".
* ONSEN Gastronomy special rice balls made with Wakkanai the brand "Soya-no-salt". Instead of dried seaweed, dried shredded Rishiri kelp is used to wrap them. "kelp cooked in soy sauce" goes well and served together.
* "Soya Mozuku" seaweed is also one of branded products of Wakkanai. The natural Mozuku seaweed is hand picked during certain days in September. It tastes like no other with a strong texture, crunchiness and scent of the sea. It also contains fiber and is rich in minerals. Enjoy it while taking a break.
* "Miso Soup with Young Scallops" has a 120% scallop flavor and is "a masterpiece of Miso soup." The young scallops are also good to eat.
* Kelp Shochu is made from the "Local Specialty Kelp of Rebun Island" that was grown in the northern climate and has a refined taste that goes well with seafood.
（6） [Salmon Chan-Chan-Yaki & Hokki Northern Clams & Venison Genghis Khan & Sapporo Classic Beer & Soft Drink
* Hokkaido is famous for Salmon! "Salmon Chan-Chan-Yaki" is a salmon dish with vegetables coated with special miso-based sauce. Perfect with Beer!
* The name of "Hokki Northern Clams" derived from "hokki" which means northern in Japanese. They are served so fresh that they can be eaten as raw sashimi; however, the taste and the sweetness increase if lightly cooked. Grilled luxuriously on a rack is recommended for maximum enjoyment.
* "Venison Genghis Khan" was newly added to the brand items of Wakkanai this year. Only the highest quality deer meat from Wakkanai is used. The deer are nurtured on the mineral rich grass growing near the Wakkanai ocean. Venison is high in protein and iron and is low in calories which is perfect for good health. It is served marinated and pan-seared in the Genghis Khan-style for all to easily enjoy.
* Hokkaido is known for "Sapporo Beer." "Sapporo Beer Classic" is only available in Hokkaido. Brewed from the highest quality ingredients, this beer is crafted to suit the regional climate. Enjoy the rich but refreshing taste.
◎[Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba Wakkanai Milk]
The name Wakkanai is an abbreviated word derived from the Ainu language. "Yam," "Wakka," and "Nay" meaning "Cold, Water, Source of Spring." As the name says, this place has cold, fresh water.
[Former Seto Family Residence (registered name: Former Main Residence of Seto Family)]
From 1945 and 1965. Wakkanai was a lively home port for bottom fishing and attracted people from all over Japan. The "Former Seto Family Residence" was built as the home of Tsunezo Seto, a leader in the bottom fishing industry. The structure is the modern Japanese style and became available for public viewing from April 2012 and was registered as a tangible cultural property on June 21, 2013.
Wakkanai Park opened to the public in 1954. The size of the park is 45.2ha and holds the symbol of the city the "Hyosetsu-no-mon" monument, "Founding Centennial Tower" which has an observation facility, and the Northern Memorial Hall, a local museum. There are also monuments to Karafuto (currently the Sakhalin Islands of Russia) and Sakhalin dogs. The 50ha "Forest Park" is located adjacent.
[Wakkanai City Northern Memorial Museum, Founding Centennial Tower]
The monument is 80m tall and has an observation deck at the 70m point (240m above sea level). From the 240m height on a clear day you can observe a 360-degree panoramic view that includes the vast Sarobetsu plain to the south, the Okhotsk Sea to the east, and Rishiri Island and Rebun Island to the west, as well as the silhouette of Sakhalin Island across the Soya Strait to the north.
[Hokumon Jinja Shrine]
Hokumon Shrine stands on the small hill overlooking Wakkanai Bay. This shrine is the northernmost with a Shinto priest in residence. As the furthest north, Hokumon Shrine is a "power spot" to those who know.
1987 (Showa 62). The length of the promenade is 215m long and extends from North Seawall Dome. The exterior is covered with mosaic tiles of Hamanasu rose images. Enjoy a refreshing walk feeling the sea breeze.
[Wakkanai Bay North Seawall Dome (Hokkaido Heritage Site)]
The construction of the Wakkanai Bay North Seawall Dome began in 1931 (Showa 6) and was completed in 1936 (Showa 11). There are 70 poles that are 13.6m high and the entire length is 427m. The cloister in a semi-arch shape resembles architecture from ancient Roman and is one of a few in the world. It was registered as "Hokkaido Heritage Site" in October 2001 (Heisei 13) and as a "Civil Engineering Heritage Site" in 2003 (Heisei 15). Several events are held throughout the year and it is also used as a location for movies and television commercials.
[Chihaku Channel Monument (Chihaku Koro Kinen-hi)]
Ferry boats were operated by the Ministry of Railways from Wakkanai to Korsakov on Sakhalin Island which had been Japanese territory until the end of the war in 1945 (Showa 20). To commemorate the 22-year achievement, the monument was erected in the center of the Wakkanai Bay North Seawall Dome in November 1973 (Showa 45).
[Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba]
As a new tourist destination, the market was opened on National Highway 40 between JR Wakkanai station and Minami-Wakkanai station. It is the largest shopping mall in the north of Asahikawa and has the concept of "Port Community" which aims to connect residents and tourists. Included in the market are a monument of a giant bottom-fishing boat, a natural hot spring, a gallery with reproductions of historical buildings of Wakkanai, and a Yatai (food stall) village to serve local food.
[Wakkanai Karafuto Memorial Hall (Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba 2F)]
Documents related to Karafuto (currently Sakhalin Island) have been collected along with the historical data of Wakkanai and Soya and over 2,000 documents on Karafuto donated by the National Karafuto Federation of General Incorporated Association in 2017 (Heisei 29). In the Wakkanai City Karafuto Memorial Hall, you can experience the history of Karafuto and the people who lived there.
[Wakkanai Natural Onsen Minato-no-Yu (Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba)]
Roof-top open-air bath where you can view the busy port. You can soak yourself and relax in a large bath with a plenty of natural hot spring water and where you can almost hear the foghorn of the boats.
(hot spring type) natrium-chloride, hydrogen carbonate
(indication) neuralgia, muscle pain, stiff shoulders, motor paralysis, stiffness of joints, cramps, craps, chronic digestive disease, hemorrhoid, cold, recovery from illness, recovery from fatigue, health improvement, cuts, burns, chronic skin disease, frail children, chronic gynecological disease
|Onsen Points *About Hot Spring Bathing (free and discount)
||[Wakkanai Fukuko Ichiba: Minato-no-Yu]
Please fill in the survey at the end of the walk and exchange it for a bathing ticket.
You need to bring your own towels.
||1. In order to hold the event smoothly and safely, participants shall comply with the regulations specified by the organizer and the traffic regulations.
2. The organizer shall not take any responsibility except for emergency measures in case of injury, loss or other accident."
3. The change of time or cancellation by personal reason is not accepted after registration.
4. The event may be canceled in case of an unexpected accident such as natural disaster, stormy weather, or new strain of influenza epidemic, etc. In that case, we can not compensate for the individual expenses such as participation fee, transportation or accommodation expenses."
5. Please check the event homepage for a cancellation notice.
6. It will be an event involving alcoholic beverages. Please enjoy the appropriate amount and please refrain from acting to disturb other participants. (loud voice, excessive drinking, etc.)"
7. We may ask for an identification card for age verification. Driving cars, bicycles, etc. with drinking is prohibited by law. Please use public transportation. "
8. The posting rights and portrait rights of the convention videos, pictures and articles, records, applicants' names, ages, addresses (country, prefecture/province) to magazines, Internet, etc., belong to the event organizer.
|Additional notices from the event office
|3-6-1 Chuo Wakkanai-shi, Hokkaido Kitakara 1F ( ) Wakkanai Tourist Association
Wakkanai Tourism Promotion Committee
|About the Certification of ONSEN Kishidan (Order)
||You can be certified as a member of ”ONSEN Kishidan (Chivalric order of hot springs)” when you register for the walking event. (*No fee to be certified)
”ONSEN Kishidan (Chivalric order of hot springs) is a group of members supporting ONSEN・Gastronomy Tourism and consists mainly of people who have a passions for hot springs.
”ONSEN Kishidan (Chivalric order of hot springs)” members will receive ONSEN・Gastronomy Walking and other up-to-date information.
Official website for members of ONSEN Kishidan (Order)”
”ONSEN＋” option is available for members.
For ONSEN＋ information: https://onsen-gastronomy.com/lp/onsenplus/
A ONSEN Kishidan (Chivalric order of hot springs) badge will be sent to your address. Please make sure to write your mailing address correctly and clearly.
* Personal information such as name, address, mail address, etc. received at the time of registration may be shared within the operating company, ONSEN & Gastronomy Tourism Association.
Information about ONSEN & Gastronomy Tourism Association:
||No participation notice will be sent to early registrants.
■ For internet registration
After the payment is made, please show a copy of the confirmation email or a screen shot of the ”payment confirmation” or ”entry confirmation” at the reception desk.
■ For phone registration and payment at convenience store
A transaction slip and/or receipt issued at the store can be used as certificate of payment. Please present the receipt at reception.
■ For phone registration and payment with a credit card
Please present an identification card on the day of the event at the reception desk.
- Reception place on the day of event
- Show All Places